Friday 12 July 2013

What should Tony do?


“She wouldn’t believe I’m not angry”, Tony said, “and I’m not even angry now” he continued after starring at the window for a while. Returning his gaze, he robbed his palm over his chin, took a deep breath and began.

It all started, that I think at least, when I called Sloan on Tuesday, during her work hours. I got no response and tried again two other times at intervals of at least five minutes. Before I knew it, I was drowned by work and unconsciously forgot about calling her again till I was leaving the office.

On other days, she would have returned my calls at most five seconds after seeing the notification on her cellphone screen that she missed my call but I assumed the pressure from her boss and client about the supposed “rare cake” she’s designing for her client’s husband’s fiftieth birthday must have had her on her toes which is quite unusual. “It’s not her fault and very unlike her” would be my blunt response to the speaking voice in my head if at all tries to accuse her of not returning my calls.

Later that day after work, I left a message I was coming over to pick her at work before driving down. I wasn’t really craving a “homey” meal so didn’t mind settling for dinner at a restaurant. I however waited over fifteen minutes after making the first call informing her I was at the parking lot before the final five minutes wait that followed the second call.

I was sitting on the hood of the car when I saw tired Sloan walking towards me. After a weary peck on my cheek and hug, we were on our way. I asked about her day, work and secretary’s son that had his mom called from work after catching the flu on Monday. Her responses were tired, but okay. A minute after, we decided on dinner plans which was the restaurant of course.

Looking back I’ll say over the next three days, her communication interest dropped below average which was unlike jovial Sloan. I gave a couple more attempts to resuscitating communication aside the daily regular chats but no avail and then decided to take her to the beach on Saturday since she wasn’t working.

Sunny Saturday was breezy and I received quality smiles and hugs at the beach which compensated for the week. That was until she received a call from work. I later found out it was the HR calling about a client’s complain of having the ear of her daughter’s Disney cake to have been broken upon delivery. After noticing her facial expression and sudden mood change, I asked what was wrong and later asked if she could sooth over to sit by beside me. I however got no response until about five minutes later. (I now think I should have been pissed and paraded some anger, but to me that was not enough reason).  After she moved over, she asked what I intended saying and I said “nothing”. It was indeed nothing because I just wanted to hold her close since she wasn’t ready to talk about what was disturbing her.

Not long after, the fun and lovely afternoon turned quiet and with cold responses. I decided we go home since she wasn’t appearing willing to be where she was and she agreed when I asked if she wanted to leave. I dropped her off at her house and the cold responses never expired.

Quite frankly, cold responses surely didn’t encourage warm discussions, and so were we till Wednesday the next week. We were both sick of our manner of interaction and so decided to talk over it. I complained over her cold responses but she however sees me to have done no wrong other than “not really expressing my feeling”. She said I’ve been angry at her. “About what??” I asked. There comes a list of things I didn’t gave much thought. “Starting with not returning my calls, cold replies when unhappy and not been open when I asked about why she was moody at the beach”. Pissed she over acted?? Most probably, but angry?? That’s a big no.

She wouldn’t believe and I don’t know if I’m expected to fake anger to make things alright.

1 comment:

  1. Au else will she believe otherwise when he fails to act his usual way especially in communicating effectively nt Just talking .

    ReplyDelete